Sunday, September 6, 2009

What's Important

Today Paulo and I went down to Pleasant Grove for a good friend of his from the mission to bless her 2nd baby girl in Sacrament Meeting. Her family is Polynesian, and it was great being with such a close and loving family. Sacrament meeting was Fast & Testimony Meeting today, where there are no assigned speakers, and everyone in the congregation is invited to share what they believe and feel about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. One of the friends of the family there was Vic So'oto, a senior Linebacker for the Cougars. He got up and shared his testimony. He started out saying "you probably heard about how my team did last night in their football game...." and I tought to myself "Really? REALLY?? Is this guy really gonna get up and gloat about how well the Cougars played last night in Sacrament meeting?!?!?!?" But I was pleasantly surprised when he went on to say that he believes that the headlines that should have been in the newspapers this morning were about the 2 little girls who had been baptized and confirmed this week, or the 14 year old who had finished his Duty to God responsibilities and received an award. He said he believed that we don't focus on the good enough, and talked about how different this world would be if we just focused on not only the good things in life, but the good things that are most important: Family, Faith in God, Children and their development, and general human accomplishment. I'm not sure how much of that actually made sense- as I'm writing it down I am having a really hard time articulating the whole situation, which makes me think that maybe it was just meant for me to learn today.
The other thing that really impressed me was just the fact that here he was- the morning after a huge game- he probably flew back to Utah this morning, and had every excuse in the world to play hookie from church today, but here he was in church, supporting a family member on an important day. It was just really inspiring to me. I'm grateful for little things like the expierience I had today that inspire me to be a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment