Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Being Tough

Paulo suggested that we get out the lawnmower and garden gloves and work on the yard yesterday. After picking myself up off of the floor and trying to hide my shock at such a gesture, I said "Sure!"
Then I almost swore when it started snowing.
THEN, when he suggested we try it again today, I almost asked him "who are you, and what have you done with my husband?!?!?" Luckily, I was smart enough not to tease him and bruise his ego. Today's weather cooperated and we got the lawn mowed, edged, and lots of weeds pulled out/ decapitated. Paulo was so cute watching me pull out weeds- he started talking about how they don't have weeds in Brazil and he honestly thought that a lot of them (the dandelions namely) were actually plants that BELONGED in the flower beds! I gave him a quick lesson on the correct technique to picking a weed vs. decapitating it. My theory is that if you just decapitate a weed, it comes back, with an ANGRY vengeance! So it's worth the sore back to get them out by the root if you can! He was really intrigued. It was cute.
I was glad to see that one of my bushes in the front of the house is actually making a comeback this year. After last year's negligence I thought that this one bush that produces some of the prettiest and most tropical looking flowers that you can get on a plant in Utah was certainly kapoot. I mean DONE. DEAD. DONE FOR. MUERTE. All of the above. Imagine my surprise when I saw this:




Well, it turns out that Mr. Tropical Flower Maker was only mostly dead. I looked at the bush, pulled off some of the left over and now hardened remnants of the weed that I thought had taken over the plant last year. Then I kind of had a moment. I looked at that bush- it was covered in weeds last year, to the point that it probably couldn't breathe very well. If plants have thoughts, this one was definitely thinking "man, I should have taken out a life insurance policy or something!" But here it stood in front of me, 6 months later, proving that even though at one moment you may be covered and drowning in something that feels like it might even do you in for GOOD, it's possible to recover and have a rebirth.
I've been through some pretty tough moments over the last few months. Some of them felt like they were getting close to doing me in for good. But, like this plant- I've had someone come and pull off all of the schtuff that was suffocating me, and now it's time for me to start showing my pretty flowers again!
My miracle today was family. I love them all so much and am grateful for a Mother and Father who worked so hard to teach us all to love each other, and always help those in need when we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment