Wednesday, November 11, 2009

All I Need to Know

I most DEFINITELY did NOT learn in Kindergarden! But it was a good start, I guess.

Martha Washington said "I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances."
If you were to see this quote in an encyclopedia made by me, this is the picture you would see beside it:

Aren't they just adorable? I wish I had a more recent picture of them, but honestly this has become one of my favorite pictures of my mom and dad. It was taken on my wedding day, and they look like THEY'RE the ones getting married- they're so happy! Mom and Dad have taught me, not only by their words, but also through their living example of the power of positive thinking. If your circumstances aren't what you are dreaming of, change what you can change, and if you can't change something, decide IMMEDIATELY not to let it get you down. I've tried to apply that to my life, not only in the tough times but also in the great times. Because, you see, happiness can be found during challenging times, and misery can also haunt us during seasons of plenty. If we forget where the true source of happiness is located, our minds will start to re-learn and apply a distorted and twisted measurement of happiness.

Here are some places where I have been able to find happiness and joy, regardless of the noise that would try to get me down:
1. My husband: I could not have asked for a greater companion and friend to walk with me through life's adventures and challenges.
2. My puppy just climed up on my lap to give me a few minutes of cuddling time. I'm understanding more and more why they call it 'puppy love', and why it's so wonderful!
3. My family: I am so blessed to be able to call my family (mom, dad, sisters, brothers, neices, nephews, and in-laws) FRIEND. I love talking to them, laughing with them, crying with them, and continuing to strengthen the bonds of love and friendship between us.
4. Friends: I'm going up to Park City this weekend for a Girls' Night Out with some of the best friends I could have ever asked for. We have travelled far distances, many miles in a car, and years on the road of life together. I can't wait to spend a night laughing and telling fun stories with them again.

Thanks, Mader and Pader, for your unwavering example of how to find happiness, no matter what the situation! I love you!

1 comment:

  1. I have that picture of Mom & Dad up at my desk at work...I'm looking at it right now :) Great post, Mandy--thanks!

    ReplyDelete