Wednesday, November 18, 2009

You didn't use the COUPONS!?!?!?!?


In the last 5 weeks since I was fired from my job at Zions, I've attacked many mini (and some not-so-mini) projects around the house. I am on my way to becoming a Domestic Goddess!!! I have organized closets, cleaned out the garage, donated bags and boxes full of clothes and other tchotchkies that were just gathering dust and spider webs in storage. I've learned more recipes and variations of recipes I already know and love. All of our laundry is clean, folded, and in its place.The house has never been cleaner, and I can really attest to the fact that keeping a clean and organized house definitely adds to the harmony and peace that can exist in a home. But up until this week, one project has continued to elude me: COUPONS.
Before I talk about my thoughts on the matter, I have another confession to make. I have, in the last 5 weeks, become a little more of a TV junkie than I was before. I am best friends with the Today Show morning crew again, Rachael Ray is my lunch buddy, and (deep breath) Kate Gosselin has become a personal confidant. Maybe I'm subconsciously watching Jon & Kate Plus 8 to feel good about my life, seeing that there are people who are WAY more screwed up than me, or maybe I love seeing those cute little kids and their GORGEOUS smiles. Maybe I feel a silent bond with Kate, a fellow short hair warrior. I'm not really sure what it is that has drawn me to their story but alas, I have fallen- HARD. I love watching the show. I love laughing at those little kids and the funny things they say. I love watching Kate and her freak out episodes. As a fellow drama queen, I guess I find it comforting to see proof that I am not alone in being a self-proclaimed DQ. (DQ sounds way cooler than Drama Queen. I wonder if Dairy Queen would sue me for copyright infringements?) Anyway, I digress.....
I was watching an episode of Jon & Kate Plus 8. On this episode, Kate totally FREAKED OUT at Jon because he had bought a shower head without the coupon that she had for it. She was running around the house looking for the receipt and going on about how coupons are money, and if we don't use them we've just thrown away money.
That got me thinking. Now, more than ever, The Cox family should be conscious and careful not to throw money away. We are blessed for Paulo to have a job, and family that can help us if we get in a bind. But, when I heard Kate going on and on about not using coupons, and throwing away money, I said "That's it." I was bound and determined to start being a crazy coupon mom. Paulo brought the Sunday paper home from his work, and I set out to create a system that made sense to me so I would and could actually use it. Well, 3 days later, I'm finished creating my system, and I have 3 stores' ad for this week with the coupons I am going to use, and the items I will buy circled. I'm excited to see how this will work, and if I can cut my coupon bill in 1/2 like so many other people I know are boasting about. I will keep you posted on my success. I won't take pictures of what I buy, cause I would feel a little silly doing that, but I am going to see if I can really work this thing and save money like I've been promised I will do. Crossing my fingers...... Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. ok, I am a TOTAL coupon junkie!! I am serious. I looooooove it. I went tonight and spent $97 dollars but saved $99 too. it averaged out to about .88cents an item. I use a website called grocerysmarts.com and I actually took a class to learn HOW TO COUPON! check out A Sweet Sale on my blog buddies. she was awesome and really helped me save and start a food storage!! :) good luck! it's work but totally worth it.
    beijos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out couponmom.com, too. She has a whole paper on the most effective coupon strategies. My biggest "a-ha" was this: I'd always known to go to the store with a list and only buy what was on the list. But, if you make your list/menu for the week based on what's on sale that week and what you have coupons for, you REALLY save money. So if Smith's has pork chops on crazy sale, guess what's on the menu this week?

    I love it--keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and no comment on Douchebag & Psycho...er, Jon & Kate...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Maybe I will try it too!!

    ReplyDelete