Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I'm proud to be.....


Today, my google search took me to looking for inspirational quotes on the importance of what took me all of about 30 seconds to do on my way home today. I found some quotes that surprised me and reminded me even more of how significant the 3 "x'es" I put on a piece of paper are:

Joseph Stalin said "The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do." I'm grateful to believe and trust in the voting process.

Henry Louis Mencken said "Voting is simply a way of determining which side is stronger without putting it to the test of fighting." I'm grateful that I didn't have to watch men from my church congregation duking it out at the polls today.

Dan Quayle said "Votes are like trees, if you are trying to build a forest. If you have more trees than you have forests, then at that point the pollsters will probably say you will win." I'm grateful that I can read this statement over and over in an attempt to figure out what it means. Did anything he said EVER make sense?!?!?

Theodore Roosevelt said "A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends on the character of the user." I'm grateful to live among people that vote according to their conscience and moral compass.

As I signed my name to vote this afternoon, I was again reminded of the privilege that is mine. The lady at the polls asked me where my husband was, and I told her that he wasn't a citizen yet, but would be voting in the next election. Her eyes filled with tears and she got really quiet, and she said "that is so wonderful. Tell him congratulations!" I smiled and went and cast my votes, then took a moment to reflect on how grateful I am to live in a country where we are free to vote for what we believe. I have travelled to many countries around the world now, and always say a little prayer of gratitude and feel my heart swell with pride when I get back and hear the imigration officers say "welcome home, Amanda."

1 comment:

  1. You know you made me get freaking teary-eyed reading this...and laughed at your analysis of the Dan Quayle quote!

    I'm so grateful that hundreds of years ago, ancestors whose names we don't even know came to this country so they and their children could live in a country founded on freedom. Thank you, whoever you were!

    ReplyDelete