Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Organization Pays Off

I mentioned in a previous post that part of my transformation to Domestic Godess-ness included cleaning out the garage. I learned a very valuable lesson when I cleaned out the garage a couple of weeks ago that I totally forgot to blog about until today when I was talking to my older sister.
Cleaning out the garage included getting it organized. We had so much stuff in the garage that in order for our two cars to fit, a huge organization effort had to take place. I had to laugh at myself, because I remember when I moved into the house almost 6 years ago, I would see houses with the garage so crowded with stuff that the cars were parked in the driveway, and I would think "how in the world can someone have so much stuff that they can't even fit their car in the garage? GEESH!" That's what I get for thinking.
Well, Mother Nature has a great way of putting a deadline on things for you. Two weeks ago the weathermen were predicting the first winter storm, and I knew that if I didn't get things done, my poor little Honda Accord would be sleeping outside in the snow all winter. That was not going to happen. I got to work, and learned how much money organization can save you. I got all of our tools into the big toolbox that we bought last year, and organized all of the screws and picture hanging anchors. Once I got through all of them and organized them, this is what I ended up with:
It seems that every time I needed anchors or picture hanging supplies, I probably didn't know where they were, so I would just run to the store and buy some. Not a huge deal- one package probably costs like a buck or a buck-fifty. But look at this picture- there has to be at least 10 packages worth of these things! I could have saved 10-15 bucks by just having these organized where I knew they were. The same thing happened when I went through the screw drivers and hammers. I think I have 4 hammers, 3 phillips head screwdrivers, and 5 flathead screwdrivers. I won't have to go to the hardware store ever again.
The moral of the story is this: Get your stuff in order, people! It can save you money. And I'm pretty sure that you want to do that.
The good news is that I have a clean and swept out garage, and I pull my car into it every night! YAY for organization!

No comments:

Post a Comment